How To Clean Car Floor Mats
Car floor mats take a beating. They protect your vehicle from dirt, mud, snow, and spills on a regular basis, so it is no surprise that they require a good cleaning every now and then. Discover the steps to getting your floor mats clean and ready to defend your vehicle another day.
You want to make sure you have the proper supplies before getting started:
- Rubber Floor Mats: Vacuum, rubber floor mat cleanser, stiff bristle brush, hose or bucket of water, microfiber towel or a place to hang your mats
- Carpet Floor Mats: Vacuum, carpet floor mat cleaner, brush, hose or bucket of water, wet vac if available, or a place to hang your mats
How to Clean Rubber Floor Mats
- Start by removing the rubber floor mats from your vehicle to avoid damaging the interior of your vehicle with water.
- Shake out the mats.
- Rinse the mats with clean water.
- Apply a cleanser designed for rubber mats and gently scrub with a stiff bristle brush to remove additional grime and debris.
- Rinse the mats clean.
- Hang up to dry or dry with a microfiber towel. Make sure mats are completely dry before replacing.
How to Clean Carpet Floor Mats
- Remove the floor mats from your vehicle.
- Vacuum the floor mats to remove to remove dirt.
- Shake and whack the floor mats against a hard surface to rid them of dust and smaller dirt particles.
- Use a cleaner designed for carpet floor mats and apply it to your floor mats. Make sure you follow the application directions on your particular cleaner, as they can vary.
- Scrub the mats to remove any stains and ground-in debris.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- If you have access to a wet vac, try vacuuming your floor mats again. This will help remove any additional dirt, as well as cut the drying time of your mats.
- Hang your mats to dry. Make sure they are completely dry before placing back in your vehicle.
Need Help Cleaning Your Floor Mats?
Now that you know how to clean your car floor mats, you want to make sure you have the materials to do it properly. Visit the Biggers Chevrolet service center and we will ensure you do. You can also get your vehicle washed and detailed at our Elgin car wash. Stop on by, or contact us to find out more.